Travel insurance is the insurance which covers medical expenses, cancellation of trip, lost luggage, unexpected events like flight, train accident and other losses arouse while travelling internationally
In India some online companies selling airplane tickets or travel packages allow the consumer to purchase travel insurance as an added facility. It”s also known as travelers insurance. NEXT, we will study about the categories of travel insurance
The main categories/types of travel insurance –
medical treatment, including transportation to the medical facility.
- Cancellation, curtailment and trip interruption
This section covers any unused travel and or accommodation costs, pre-paid charges (including any additional travel expenses incurred, provided they are deemed reasonable and necessary) if a trip is canceled or cut short under a variety of circumstances, which may include any of the following, depending on the policy:
- death, bodily injury, illness, disease, or pregnancy complications
- compulsory quarantine
- jury service
- being called as a witness
- termination of employment (provided you did not know about it before you booked the holiday)
- being called up if you are a member of the armed forces or other public defense or safety organization
- prohibition of travel by the government to the intended destination
- officially recommended evacuation from the intended destination
- an official advisory against going to or remaining at the intended destination
- death or serious illness of a family member (subject to age restrictions).
- repayment of remains
- Return of a minor
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption
- Visitor health insurance
- Accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
- Overseas funeral expenses
- Lost, stolen or damaged baggage, personal effects or travel documents
- Delayed baggage (and emergency replacement of essential items)
- Flight connection was missed due to airline rescheduling or delay.
- Travel delays due to weather
Medical expense coverage can be per-occurrence or maximum-limit.
Some travel policies will also provide cover for additional costs, although these vary widely between providers.
Additional coverage ( Riders )
- Pre-existing condition (e.g. asthma, diabetes)
- Sports with an element of risk (e.g. skiing, scuba diving)
- Travel to high-risk countries (e.g. due to war, natural disasters or acts of terrorism)
- Additional AD&D coverage
- Third party supplier insolvency (e.g. the hotel or airline to which you made non-refundable pre-payments has gone into administration)
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions – An “Acute Onset of a Pre-Existing Condition” is a sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence of a Pre-Existing Condition(s) which occurs spontaneously and without advance warning either in the form of Physician recommendations or symptoms, is of short duration, is rapidly progressive, and requires immediate care.
- Insured Person is traveling against the advice of a Physician, or is traveling for the purpose of obtaining treatment.
- Any Pre-existing Condition or any complication arising from it; or
- Suicide attempted suicide (whether sane or insane) or intentionally self-inflicted Injury or Illness, or sexually transmitted conditions, mental or nervous disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), Human Immune deficiency Virus (HIV) infection; or
- Serving in any branch of the Military or Armed Forces of any country, whether in peace or War,
- Being under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other intoxicants or hallucinogens
- Participation in an actual or attempted felony, riot, crime, misdemeanor, or civil commotion; or
- Operating or learning to operate any aircraft or performing duties as a member of the crew on any aircraft or Scheduled Airline; or
- Any loss arising out of War, civil war, invasion, insurrection, revolution, act of foreign enemy,
- Any loss, damage cost or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or in connection with any act of terrorism.
- Any loss arising out of the intentional use of military force to intercept, prevent, or mitigate any known or suspected Act of Terrorism; or
- The use, release or escape of nuclear materials that directly or indirectly results in nuclear reaction or radiation or radioactive contamination;
- The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other dangerous properties of any explosive nuclear equipment or any part of that equipment; or
- Performance of manual work for employment or any other potentially dangerous occupation; or
- Congenital anomalies or any complications or conditions arising therefrom; or
- Osteoporosis (porosity and brittleness of the bones due to loss of protein from the bones matrix) or pathological fracture (any fracture in an area where pre-existing Disease has caused the weakening of the bone)
- Participation in winter sports, skydiving/parachuting, hang gliding, bungee jumping, scuba diving, mountain climbing
- Pregnancy and all related conditions, This, however, does not include ectopic pregnancy proved by diagnostic means and is certified to be life-threatening by the Physician; or
- For any loss of which a contributing cause was your actual or attempted commission of, or willful participation in, an illegal act or any violation or attempted violation of the law or Your resistance to arrest;
- Any loss, injury, damage or legal liability arising directly or indirectly from Travel in, too, or through Afghanistan, Cuba or the Democratic Republic of Congo; or
- Any loss, injury, damage or legal sustained directly or indirectly by Any terrorist or member of a terrorist organization, narcotics trafficker, or purveyor of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.
Here are some benefits of travel insurance when traveling abroad or within the country.
- Getting emergency medical care when you are on a vacation could prove to be expensive. In such cases, travel insurance can be very helpful.
- Other accident covers, like the ones offered by private health insurance and credit card cover for accident, will not cover travel emergencies. Hence, it becomes important to secure a travel insurance plan.
- If you can’t travel because of unexpected reasons like an accident or illness, travel insurance will cover the costs of cancellation which could otherwise be a huge loss.
- A travel insurance cover can prove to be of great assistance in case of travel emergencies, like missed connecting flight or flight delay. Your accommodation costs and food expenses will be taken care of.
- Travel insurance will offer you a personal liability cover.
TRAVEL INSURANCE ONLINE PROCESS
STEP-1 GETTING QUOTE
To generate a quote we need to fill pieces of information like trip details and trip dates
after filling the required details we will get.
Let’s take an example.
RAM is travelling to America for ten days and he is travelling alone.
after filling these details he generate the quote
STEP-2 – CHOOSING A PLAN
According to the given details, there are different options now it”s up to ram which plan he wants to choose.
let’s assume he has chosen the selected plan now the next step is to complete the personal details
He fills the up the above details then make payment thereafter.
just like this example the online process of buying travel insurance works.